If you have questions about becoming a WIC approved vendor, adding food or updating prices, administering your store’s program, or tips for how to best help WIC participants, we’re here for you.
Contact Vendor Manager, Wendy Speaect, with questions by phone at 605.773.6206 or by email.
2022 Abbott Formula Recall
In February 2022 Abbott voluntarily issued a recall of certain powdered formulas including Similac Advance®, Similac Total Comfort®, Similac for Spit-Up®, Similac Sensitive®, Similac Alimentum®, Similac EleCare®, and Similac PM 60/40® that were manufactured in Sturgis, Michigan. Find more information about the Abbott recall here.
WIC participants have been advised to check the formula cans in their possession to validate whether they are part of the recall or not. If they do have cans that have been recalled, they are being asked to return them to the store where purchased or to their local WIC office.
The SD WIC Program has been granted waivers from the federal government. With these waivers in place, vendors can now provide exchanges of products purchased with WIC benefits.
Your store is permitted to offer exchanges and substitutions – based on your store policy – which may include, but are not limited to, the same product, a substitute product, store credit, or a cash refund. WIC authorized vendors are NOT required to determine whether a product was purchased with WIC benefits.
If a customer tells you they are a WIC participant and asks to return recalled formula, please encourage them to check the shelves first to see if there is another formula available to exchange. If no formula is available for exchange, they can return them to their WIC office to be reissued onto their eWIC card to allow them to purchase what they need at any store. At this time, WIC offices may only replace formula benefits if they have the recalled cans of formula in their possession.
South Dakota WIC participants affected by the Abbott formula recall and shortage can temporarily purchase additional powdered formula brands and sizes. At this time…
- temporary alternative brands of powdered formulas will be allowed until February 28, 2023.
- alternative products and sizes of Similac brand formulas will be allowed through April 30, 2023.
Printing the WIC Approved Food Guide
WIC Approved Foods are frequently added and removed making pre-printed versions quickly outdated. The digital version now provides participants, Vendors and WIC staff with a 100% accurate Guide at all times. It is suggested to print in small batches. This will ensure the most accurate Guide is always provided.
Now available in English and Spanish! Last revised 05-03-2022.
- Use this format for viewing on your computer or emailing to participants.
- Use these for printing in booklet format.
- Printing directions:
- Select “Print on both sides of paper”
- Select “Flip on the long edge.”
- After printing and folding, the booklet can be stapled together in the middle to keep the booklet together.
- Print in small quantities. Frequent updates are made and this will ensure the most accurate Guide is always provided to the participant.
- Outlines the different combinations of whole grains per new product size availability
- Detailed handout of the food package options for participants with limited storage, refrigeration or equipment
Effective January 1, 2021, South Dakota WIC’s infant formula contract will change to Similac (Abbott) products. Effective January 29, 2021, WIC participants will not be issued Mead Johnson Enfamil formulas.