A wise choice.
When it comes to feeding your newborn, you can’t get much more beneficial for your baby’s health than by breastfeeding. While it isn’t always the solution for every situation, it’s the best way to provide beneficial nutrients to your baby at these earliest stages.
Keep the following benefits in mind when choosing whether or not to breastfeed:
- It builds up your baby’s immune system – breast milk contains antibodies, anti-viruses and enzymes that formula doesn’t
- It’s cost-effective – not having to buy bottles, nipples and formula can save the average mother as much as $1,000 in the first year alone
- It cuts the risk of many ailments, including SIDS, childhood obesity, diabetes and respiratory illnesses like asthma and pneumonia
- The temperature is just right – your body knows just how to produce breast milk so that it provides the right amount and the right temp for your baby
Remember: Your breast milk contains more than 200 key nutrients for your baby – breastfeeding is the best choice for your newborn!
Need more support?
South Dakota WIC offers support to mothers interested in breastfeeding, including:
- Referrals to physicians and nutritionists
- Education on breastfeeding benefits
- Tools, such as breast pumps.