SD WIC Fun Facts: March 2022
A Monthly Message to Superhero Caregivers from your Sidekicks at SD WIC
Wellness Wisdom: Activities for Building Happy, Healthy Families
March is National Nutrition Month®
Personalize your plate to include foods from other cultures! The foods we eat are often influenced by our family’s history and culture, where we live, our budgets, and our tastes. Find great meal and snack ideas that include foods from other cultures:
- Asian Indian Cuisine
- Chinese Cuisine
- Filipino Cuisine
- Latin American Cuisine
- Middle Eastern Cuisine
- Vietnamese Cuisine
Source: Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics
Breastfed From the Start: Helpful Tips for Mastering Breastfeeding
What is relactation? It is increasing milk supply that has gone down or is completely gone after weeks or months of not breastfeeding. There are a lot of reasons why mothers may choose to relactate. It is important to know that it may be possible, but requires time, patience, determination, and a strong support system. The most effective strategy is frequently removing milk.
If baby will latch:
- Nurse at least 10-12 times in 24 hours. Focus on frequent, effective, around-the-clock nursing. Don’t skip night time feedings.
- Ideally offer each side at least twice per feeding. Each time the baby comes off the breast, offer the other side.
- Massage your breast during feedings to increase milk flow. This will also help keep baby actively sucking longer.
- Avoid pacifiers and other soothers that can reduce time spent nursing.
If baby will not latch, use a WIC pump to build milk supply:
- Follow similar tips as noted above, pump at least 10-12 times in 24 hours. Don’t skip night time pumping.
- Use massage during pumping and hand express after pumping. Express long enough to remove all the milk.
- Try power pumping if you have a healthy, full term baby. Set up your pump somewhere you frequently pass and is comfortable to sit or stand. Every time you pass the pump, stop and pump for 5-10 minutes. You can pump into the same bottle and use the same equipment without cleaning for up to 4 hours.
It can take a month or more to produce a significant amount of milk. Call your local WIC office and talk to one of our breastfeeding experts for support and guidance.
Sources: Breastfeeding Answers: A Guide to Helping Families, 2nd edition & International La Leche League
Delicious & Nutritious Recipes: Simple, Kid Approved Dishes to Try at Home
Southwestern Stuffed Potatoes
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cup canned black beans
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Wash prep area, your hands, and potatoes. Drain and rinse canned beans.
- Poke each potato with a fork 2-3 times. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Turn potatoes over. Microwave another 3-5 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine beans, salsa, and corn. Microwave for 2-3 minutes, stir occasionally until heated through.
- Cut potatoes in half length-wise and flatten with a fork. Divide bean mixture equally. Sprinkle with cheese and serve warm.
This post was last updated on March 8th, 2022 at 3:58 PM
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.