SD WIC Fun Facts: September 2021
A Monthly Message to Superhero Caregivers from your Sidekicks at SD WIC
Wellness Wisdom: Activities for Building Happy, Healthy Families
Enjoy Veggies & Fruits Anytime, Anywhere
September is National Fruits and Veggies month! Can you commit to adding one more vegetable or fruit to your routine every day this month? Here are some ways to get some extra plants in your diet:
- Snack on raw veggies or fruit with a dip like yogurt, salad dressings or peanut butter
- Add diced peppers, mushrooms, or onions to scrambled eggs in the morning
- Toss some fruit on a green salad for lunch
- Blend spinach or cooked cauliflower into a fruit smoothie for breakfast
- Have fruit for dessert
- Substitute French fries for a side salad when dining out
Go outside your comfort zone and try a new vegetable or fruit this month! Maybe some crimini mushrooms or figs? #haveaplant
Breastfed From the Start: Helpful Tips for Mastering Breastfeeding
How to Increase and Maintain Your Milk Supply
To increase your milk supply put baby skin-to-skin and nurse often. Removing milk from the breast is the best way to boost your milk supply. Do this frequently so less milk accumulates in the breast between feedings. It is best to nurse, hand express or pump at least every 1-3 hours.
To maintain your supply, nurse often and on demand. Stay close to your baby to be able to respond to his or her earliest signs of hunger. This may include mouth movements, rooting or bringing hands to mouth. Not with baby all the time? Pump or hand express anytime baby would usually be feeding.
Delicious & Nutritious Recipes: Simple, Kid Approved Dishes to Try at Home
The perfect side dish for any meal or eat as a snack.
- 1 cup each of shredded carrots, zucchini and potatoes
- ½ cup diced onions
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley (or 2 tsp dried parsley)
- 2 cups corn flake cereal
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Wash your prep area, hands, and all vegetables.
- Shred carrots, zucchini and potatoes. Dice onions and chop fresh parsley. Crush corn flakes.
- Combine all ingredients, except oil, in a medium size bowl.
- Form vegetable mixture into small flat patties while heating oil in a skillet.
- Cook patties over medium heat for about 4 minutes on each side.
This post was last updated on September 28th, 2021 at 12:06 PM
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.